Products Available on Clipper
Clipper on County Connection means riders can stop carrying multiple forms of payment; instead store it on a Clipper card.
East Bay Day Pass
The Day Pass gives you unlimited rides for a single day on most County Connection, Tri Delta Transit, WestCAT and Wheels routes ($3.75 for adults and youth/$1.75 for senior and RTC customers).
The Day Pass discount is applied automatically. Once you pay $3.75 in fares in a day ($1.75 for senior and RTC customers) on any combination of the participating transit services, your rides will be free of charge for the rest of that day. Clipper Cards still need to be tagged to show the drivers the passenger have paid the fare.
Regular fare charged
Fare capped at maximum
Subsequent trips are free
Free rides and fares paid on WestCAT Lynx Transbay service do not apply toward a Day Pass.
East Bay Regional 31-Day Pass
The East Bay Regional 31-Day Pass is accepted on County Connection, Tri Delta Transit, Wheels, and WestCAT (except LYNX) buses. When purchased on your Clipper card, the pass is valid for a rolling 31 days, rather than a set calendar month, like County Connection Regular Monthly East Bay Passes. The 31-day period begins when the card is first tagged.
- 31-Day East Bay Regional Pass – Local – $60
- 31-Day East Bay Regional Pass – Express – $70
If you currently use a combination of Regular and Express Route buses and wish to load an East Bay Regional Pass on your Clipper card you can either:
- Purchase the East Bay Regional Pass – Local for $60 and maintain a stored cash value on the card that can be used for paying the $0.25 upgrade charge when using an Express bus
- Purchase the East Bay Value Pass – Express for $70
How to Use Clipper
Information on how to get a card, add value, and use it on County Connection buses.
Getting a Card
You can get a Clipper card and add value at:
- Walgreens, Whole Foods, and other select retailers*
- Participating transit agency ticket offices, including at County Connection offices
- Online at clippercard.com
- Call Clipper at 877-878-8883
- BART ticket machines*
*Senior Clipper cards are not available at retailers or BART ticket machines.
When adding value to Clipper, choose the combination of passes, tickets or cash that is needed. Value added in person at a ticket machine, participating retail store, or transit ticket office is available instantly, while it may take up to 3-5 days for value added online or over the phone to become available.
Autoload is the fastest and easiest way to ensure there is always value on a Clipper card. Autoload links your Clipper card to your credit card, bank account or transit benefit debit card to automatically pay for cash value and/or transit passes. Autoload automatically adds value to your card whenever your cash value balance falls below $10 or your pass expires.
Paying with Your Clipper Card
Clipper automatically figures out the cost of your ride, including all discounts and transfers.
- Make sure you have a valid pass or a minimum balance of $1.75 (75 cents on a Senior or RTC Clipper card) before you board
- When boarding the bus, locate the Clipper card reader just inside the front doors
- Hold your card flat against the Clipper logo on the reader
- Wait for the beep and green light – then continue to your seat
If you don’t need to pay for your trip because of a contract with your employer or because it’s during the 10am-2pm senior/disabled free ride time period, don’t tap your Clipper Card–just show us the appropriate identification.
Bus and BART Transfers
- The Clipper card will recognize one free bus-to-bus transfer within a 2-hour time period.
- The Clipper card will recognize and honor free transfers between County Connection, Tri Delta Transit, Wheels and WestCAT at shared transit stops.
- BART transfer fares will be recognized and deducted accordingly ($1.00 for adult & youth riders and $.50 for senior/RTC riders) from the cards stored cash value, or no deduction for 31-day Value Pass users.
- If your trip requires two bus transfers, please ask the operator for a paper transfer. When using the paper transfer on the 2nd transfer DO NOT tag your Clipper card – simply give the operator the paper transfer.
- Current County Connection policy provides a 3-hour time window for weekend transfers. The Clipper system will only recognize a 2-hour window. If you need the full 3-hour transfer, please ask the drive for a paper transfer. DO NOT tag your Clipper card when using the paper transfer.
More About Clipper
For more information about Clipper or to set up an online account, please call Clipper Customer Service at 877-878-8883 or visit clippercard.com.