Youth Clipper, Clipper START, and Express Routes are lowering their fares
Beginning January 1, 2024, it will be more affordable to ride County Connection with a Youth Clipper or Clipper START card, with fares going from 20% to 50% off for eligible riders. And, Clipper fares on all County Connection express routes are going down in price, matching our local route Clipper fares. Yup, that’s half off to ride with Youth Clipper and Clipper START, and only $2 whether you travel on our express or local routes.
Why the change? In the years following the pandemic, public transit agencies continue to look for ways to simplify the fare rate structure across the region. This is in part to incentivize ridership but is also a move toward increased consistency with broader regional policies. (Translation: We want public transit to be an easy and affordable option for everyone.)
FARE CHANGE CHART – EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2024
|CLIPPER CARD TYPE||FARE PRODUCT||CURRENT (until Dec 2023)||NEW FARES|
|Youth Clipper (5-18)/|
Youth Clipper is available for ages 6-18 and is great for youth who want to save money and ride public transit at half the cost of an Adult Clipper card (beginning January 1, 2024). To apply:
- Mail, Email, or Fax: Riders ages 6-18 can apply for a Youth Clipper card by mail, email or fax. You’ll need to submit an application.
- In person: Riders can get a card in person at County Connection, 2477 Arnold Industrial Way in Concord, M-F, 8am-3pm.
- You’ll need to verify your birth date with an accepted form of identification for a Youth Clipper card.
- Find an in-person location near you by clicking here.
Clipper START is a regional pilot program to provide single-ride discounts to eligible riders. To qualify you must:
- Be a resident of the San Francisco Bay Area
- Be 19-64 years old
- Not have an RTC Clipper Card for people with disabilities
- Have a household income of 200% of the federal poverty level or less
CLIPPER EXPRESS ROUTE FARES
Beginning January 1, 2024, County Connection express route fares on Clipper will be reduced from $2.25 to $2.00 for adults, and from $1.80 to $1.00 for Youth Clipper and Clipper START card holders.
In addition, the East Bay Regional 31-Day Local Pass ($60) will be valid on all County Connection routes, including Express routes, and the 31-Day Express Pass ($70) will be eliminated. The 31-Day Local Pass will continue to be accepted on Tri Delta Transit, Wheels, and WestCAT (except LYNX) buses.